Monday, February 20, 2012

Wiki Class Reflection


I am excited about creating a wiki for my students to use. The power of collaboration on a wiki will be the perfect way to implement my next writing project and offers an exciting technology to explore. The students have been blogging and through the Blazes Fire Hydrant project they know what a basic Wiki is. The Who What Where When West Hartford grant needs a tool that will allow students to work together and add their feedback and input to the story they write together. The residents will also be able to keep track of the progress and the parent mentor will also be able to manage the process. I started the basic wiki and will add more info as I develop it. I am really excited to have the students start adding and contributing. There are so many ways I can go with this idea and I am excited to start and get the kids involved.

http://www3westhartford.wikispaces.com/

Class Wiki
https://edt615.wikispaces.com/


Wikis are a powerful tool that I have just started to explore. George's lesson showed a biology classroom site where the Wiki offered reflection on lessons as well individual student pages. I think this is a huge motivator for students. Wiki can also be a sort of website for a classroom and students can add their writings and research. Our school is leaving our current website software and moving to web based. I think a wiki offers a great way for me to continue the student internet publishing I used to do in the classroom. I got many ideas from the readings and the videos. I like the idea of using vocabulary and think that having students respond to other posts helps with accountability and offers a model to follow or improve on. The collaboration aspect of wikis is what makes this tool powerful. I will add more as I explore this week.




2 comments:

  1. Clare,

    I cannot access your wiki because it is restricted. I will need to see some of the wiki for assignment credit. You can give me access and then once the assignment is graded you can restrict me from the site.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www3westhartford.wikispaces.com/

    I changed permissions

    ReplyDelete