Monday, February 27, 2012

Podcasts

I see a real advantage of podcasts and know my students will enjoy this technology. Just today a student asked about creating a radio broadcast. He is researching the Greek gods and wanted to try something new. I suggested PowerPoint and now see how the audio can be added now. I think that audio offers an exciting avenue for publishing especially for the shy students. My previous career was in broadcasting and we worked with voice-overs and edited audio recordings. This technology is similar but it offers it to the masses. The poetry tea where the students show their poem illustrations can also incorporate a podcast so they can publish their poem and voice on-line.  There are other ways that we can add audio and I was thinking that Fake Book could be incorporated in my biography project and I already discovered that the acceptance speech the students write can be added to the site. How cool would it be to add a spoken speech? I push my students to do public speaking and believe this will be a new way to get them hooked. I plan on podcasting the testimony on the Senate Reform Bill 24 on Connecticut Education Reform. 

Vocaroo
This tool can be a great motivation for students who love technology and don’t enjoy writing. I have seen students’ blog more than they write and I know some who will talk more than they will blog. It all comes to motivation for many students and audio technology is a new tool I want to explore.

LoG Me In 
Is another tool that may finally allow me to access my school files. I have been tempted to use Google docs and send many files to the clouds but I am hesitant to move everything off my hard drive. I do not use many mobil devices but laptop at home, phone and the school network would be great to sync.  I will have to explore the district restrictions but I can at least start at home and access some files with my phone.

Over all these technologies are exciting and I can see how they can change the way I teach. My biggest challenge is having enough time to explore and being able to work closely with students to help them master the tool. In a classroom of 25 and having some very energetic students it is difficult to turn my back and give small group focus. I believe that this spring post CMTs will open up the schedule. Once I try a tool and learn the basics the next time is much quicker. I also find that the students are sponges and can learn quickly and pass on their knowledge to peers in a flash. It just takes the first step and I am willing to take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment